- Qualifications. To seek or hold the office of Tennessee Senator, a person must be at least 30 years of age, a citizen of the United States, have been a citizen of Tennessee for 3 years and a resident in the county 1 year immediately preceding the election, and a qualified voter of the legislative district.
- Qualifying Petition. Candidates may obtain a nominating petition from a county election commission office or the office of the Coordinator of Elections. Petitions may be obtained no more than 60 days before the qualifying deadline date. The first day petitions may be issued for 2020 is February 3, 2020. Each page of the petition issued must be signed by the candidate and an election official and may not be photocopied. Additional pages may be obtained as necessary.
- Voters' Signatures. The nominating petition must be signed by at least twenty-five (25) voters who are registered in the candidate's senate district, and the candidate. The signature of the candidate does not count towards the required twenty-five (25) signatures. Each voter who signs the petition must also supply his or her residence address as it appears on his or her voter registration record.
- Filing deadline. Primary candidates must file their nominating petitions no later than 12:00 NOON on April 2, 2020; candidates who intend to run as independents on the November ballot must also file their petitions by 12:00 NOON on April 2, 2020.
- Where to File. Primary and independent candidates must file their original nominating petition in the office of the county election commission in the county of their residence and a certified duplicate in the county election commission office in each county wholly or partially within the candidate's senate district. A certified duplicate is a photocopy of the original petition with the words “This is a true copy of the original” signed by the person making the copy along with the copier’s name, title and date. Each of these documents must be received by the respective election commissions by the above deadline. There are no filing fees.
- Campaign Contribution and Disclosure Filings. Candidates should contact the Tennessee Bureau of Ethics and Campaign Finance for information regarding campaign contribution and disclosure reports and filing requirements. The Bureau's address and phone number are as follows:
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 104
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-1360