Bring the Archives to your classroom!
Starting this year, the Tennessee State Library and Archives is offering a DocsBox program to Tennessee schools in all 95 counties. These seven DocsBoxes are educational resources that provide hands-on original and reproduction materials and historical primary sources that supplement the Tennessee social studies curriculum standards. Topics range from various wars that Tennesseans participated in to the social and economic features of the Roaring Twenties. Each DocsBox includes creative and unique lesson plans created by current classroom teachers as well as all the materials needed for the different activities.
Each DocsBox has a two-week reservation period. If multiple teachers in a school want to use the DocsBox, it can be reserved for an additional week. This additional week must be confirmed in the original reservation. To cover the costs of shipping (both to and from your school), the fee for each DocsBox is $25.00. “School districts may pay this $25.00 fee by check. An invoice will be issued to the contact name and school listed on the reservation. The invoice should be paid before the DocsBox is shipped and within 30 days of receipt.”
To reserve the DocsBox:
** Note: Due to COVID-19 restrictions and limited availability, our DocsBox program is closed for the 2020-2021 school year. Reservations for the 2021-2022 school year will open in May 2021.
Select the DocsBox you would like to reserve
- View the appropriate DocsBox calendar for availability
- Fill out the contact form for the specific DocsBox with an open availability
- Wait for confirmation from education staff
Returning a DocsBox:
- Do an inventory! Make sure that all materials are returned in the DocsBox. Fill out the inventory form included in each DocsBox.
- Keep all shipping materials, including shipping box and bubble wrap. You will need these items when you ship the DocsBox back to the Library & Archives .
- Place the shipping label (included in the DocsBox) on the front of the shipping box and schedule a pickup for Fedex Ground from your school. Contact information for Fedex is provided on the memo for the traveling DocsBox.
- Confirm with education staff that the DocsBox has been shipped.