Chester County was formed in 1879 from
Hardeman, Henderson, McNairy and Madison counties
(Public Acts of Tennessee 1879, Chapter 42).
The county seat is Henderson.
There was a fire at the Chester County courthouse in 1933.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- Brief History of Chester County, Tennessee, Then and Now : An Historical Comparison, Facts of the Past and Present Which the Future Will Want to Remember (Reid, 1967)*
- Chester County, Tennessee, 1882-1995, History and Families (Chester County Historical Society, 1995) [surname index]*
- Goodspeed's Chester County History (1990) [name index]
- History of Tennessee From the Earliest Time to the Present; Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Henderson, Chester, McNairy (Goodspeed, 1978) [name index]
- History of the Friendship Community of Chester County, Tennessee (King, 1996)
- Reflections (Williams, 1979)
Additional county and community histories can be found at the Bibliography of Tennessee Local History Sources: Chester County. The items in the bibliography may not all be available at the Tennessee State Library and Archives.
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- Burial Locations for Confederate Soldiers in Chester County, Tennessee (Barnes, 1989)
- Cemeteries in Chester County, Tennessee (Jones, 1982) [name index]
- Chester County, Tennessee, Tombstone Records (WPA, 1938)
- Private Acts of Chester County, Tennessee (Lobertini, 1995)
- Service Record Book of Men and Women of Henderson, Tennessee and Community [WWI & WWII] (19??)
- Tombstone Inscriptions, Et Cetera, From the Black Cemeteries of Chester County, Tennessee (Smith, 2000) [surname index]
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
An inventory of microfilmed Chester County records is available on our web site. Individual reels of microfilm may also be purchased.
Earliest records include:
- marriages from 1891
- wills from 1891
- deed index from 1891
- chancery court minutes from 1891
- county court minutes from 1891
- circuit court minutes from 1882
- tax books from 1890
The following reels are available on interlibrary loan from the Library and Archives:
- WPA Records, Chester County (Record Group #107, Roll 6, 1 reel). Roll includes Tombstone Records (undated).*
NEWSPAPERS ON MICROFILM
Newspapers were published in Henderson. Scattered early issues are available from 1878, and a complete run begins in 1930. Microfilms are loaned to Tennessee libraries. Individual reels may also be purchased. An Inventory of Newspapers on Microfilm at the Library and Archives is available on our web site.
- Census on microfilm for Chester County: 1900-1930
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1900-1930
ADDITIONAL RESEARCH AIDS FOR CHESTER COUNTY
- County Index to Tennessee Confederate Pension Applications
- Early Tennessee Tax Lists at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Funeral Home Records at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Index to Tennessee Death Records 1908-1912
- Index to Tennessee Death Records 1914-1933
- School Census Records
- Tennessee World War I Veterans
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on interlibrary loan from the Library and Archives.