Crockett County was formed in 1871 from
Dyer, Gibson, Haywood and Madison counties
(Acts of Tennessee 1845-46, Chapter 25).
The county seat is Alamo.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- Goodspeed's Crockett County History (1988) [name index]
- History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present : Together with an Historical and a Biographical Sketch of Lauderdale, Tipton, Haywood and Crockett (Goodspeed, 1978)*
Additional county and community histories can be found at the Bibliography of Tennessee Local History Sources: Crockett County. The items in the bibliography may not all be available at the Tennessee State Library and Archives.
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- 1880 Census, Crockett County, Tennessee (Sistler, 1992) [alphabetical by head of household]*
- Crockett (Haywood) County, TN Deeds, 1785-1872 (Mayo, 1985) [surname index]
- Crockett County Courthouse Centennial; Souvenir Booklet (Crockett County Historical Society, 1974)*
- Crockett County, Tennessee, Marriage Book [vol. 1 1872-1884; vol. 2 1884-1886] (WPA, 1938) [name index]
- Lebanon Methodist Church, Crockett County, Tennessee (Murray, 1965)*
- Lonely Road : Ultimate Sacrifices [WWII military veterans of Crockett County] (Moore, 2010) [name index]
- Tombstone Inscriptions from Black Cemeteries in Crockett County, Tennessee (Smith, 1997) [surname index]
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
An inventory of microfilmed Crockett County records is available on our web site. Individual reels of microfilm may also be purchased.
Earliest records include:
- marriages from 1872
- wills from 1872
- deed index from 1872
- chancery court minutes from 1872
- county court minutes from 1871
- circuit court minutes from 1872
- tax books from 1928
The following reels are available on interlibrary loan from the Library and Archives:
- WPA Records, Crockett County (Record Group #107, Roll 13, 1 reel) Roll includes Marriage Books (1872-1888).*
NEWSPAPERS ON MICROFILM
Newspapers were published in Alamo, Bells, Bellville and Friendship. Scattered early issues are available from 1874, and a complete run begins in 1946. Microfilms are loaned to Tennessee libraries. Individual reels may also be purchased. An Inventory of Newspapers on Microfilm at the Library and Archives is available on our web site.
- Andrew Crockett Papers, 1778-1888*
- Crockett County Miscellaneous Records, ca. 1800 -1960 (Microfilm Manuscript #567, 2 reels) *
- Wiley - Abernathy – Bass Family Papers, 1671–1972*
- Census on microfilm for Crockett County: 1880, 1900-1930
- State-wide census index: 1880
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1880, 1900-1930
- Crockett County census records in book form: 1880*
ADDITIONAL RESEARCH AIDS FOR CROCKETT COUNTY
- County Index to Tennessee Confederate Pension Applications
- Early Tennessee Tax Lists at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Funeral Home Records at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Index to Tennessee Death Records 1908-1912
- Index to Tennessee Death Records 1914-1933
- School Census Records
- Tennessee World War I Veterans
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on interlibrary loan from the Library and Archives.