Decatur County was formed in 1845 from Perry County
(Acts of Tennessee 1845-46, Chapter 7).
The county seat is Decaturville.
There were fires at the Decatur County
courthouse in 1869 and 1927.
SELECTED PUBLISHED COUNTY HISTORIES
- Decatur County (Younger, 1979) [name index]*
- Decatur County History and Families, 1846-1996 (Decatur County Historical Society, 1996) [surname index]*
- Goodspeed's Decatur County History (1990) [name index]
- History of Decatur County, Past and Present (Younger, 1977)
Additional county and community histories can be found at the Bibliography of Tennessee Local History Sources: Decatur County. The items in the bibliography may not all be available at the Tennessee State Library and Archives.
PUBLISHED LOCAL RECORDS
- 1880 Census, Decatur County, Tennessee (Sistler, 1993) [alphabetical by head of household]*
- Bridges From the Past (United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1991)*
- Decatur County Marriage Records, Decaturville, Tennessee, March 23, 1921-December 31, 1992 (Alexander, 1994) [name index]*
- Decatur County, Tennessee Cemetery Records (United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1984) [name index]
- Decatur County, Tennessee, 1850 Census (Porch, 1970) [surname index]*
- Early Marriage Records (1869-1921) of Decatur County, Tennessee (Alexander, 198?) [alphabetical by bride and groom]*
- Private Acts of Decatur County, Tennessee (1994)*
- Tennessee, records of Decatur County, deed book [1846-1854] (WPA, 1937) [name index]
- Tennessee, records of Decatur County, marriage record book [1869-1898] (WPA, 1938) [name index]
- Tennessee, records of Decatur County, survey book #1, 1846-1860 (WPA, 1936) [name index]
LOCAL RECORDS ON MICROFILM
An inventory of microfilmed Decatur County records is available on our web site. Individual reels of microfilm may also be purchased.
Earliest records include:
- marriages from 1869
- wills from 1869
- inventories of estates from 1869
- deed index from 1846
- county court minutes from 1869
- circuit court minutes from 1927
- tax books from 1888
The following reels are available on interlibrary loan from the Library and Archives:
- Deed Index 1846 - 1945 (#A3696, 1 reel)*
- WPA Records, Decatur County (Record Group #107, Roll 17, 1 reel). Roll includes Deed Book 1 (1846-1854), Marriage Record Book 1-3 & 5-6 (1869-1881, 1887-1893), Marriage Licenses and Bond Book 4 (1881-1887), Survey Book 1 (1846-1860) and Records Book 3 (1854-1857).*
NEWSPAPERS ON MICROFILM
Newspapers were published in Decaturville and Parsons. Scattered early issues are available from 1883, and a complete run begins in 1961. Microfilms are loaned to Tennessee libraries. Individual reels may also be purchased. An Inventory of Newspapers on Microfilm at the Library and Archives is available on our web site.
- New Prospect Missionary Baptist Church Records, 1894-1996 (Manuscript Microfilm #1555, 1 reel)*
- Census on microfilm for Decatur County: 1850-1880, 1900-1930
- State-wide census index: 1850-1880
- State-wide census index on microfilm (Soundex): 1880, 1900-1930
- Decatur County census records in book form: 1850*, 1880*
ADDITIONAL RESEARCH AIDS FOR DECATUR COUNTY
- County Index to Tennessee Confederate Pension Applications
- Early Tennessee Tax Lists at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Funeral Home Records at the Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Index to Tennessee Death Records 1908-1912
- Index to Tennessee Death Records 1914-1933
- School Census Records
- Tennessee World War I Veterans
* Indicates this title may be borrowed on interlibrary loan from the Library and Archives.