Tennessee did not have any designated units during the Revolutionary War, as it was not a state at that time. We recommend that you contact the state from which your Revolutionary War ancestor came to inquire about available rosters and records. We have a published list of Revolutionary War pensioners, with detailed information about their pension applications, from which we can copy entries. Visit the Ask Us a Question! web page to send us an e-mail with the name of the individual, and we will check to see if there is a listing in the index. The Library and Archives will respond to e-mail requests promptly; response time may vary, depending on the amount of research required to answer your question and the unique nature of your request. If you need immediate assistance you may call the reference desk at (615) 741-2764 or visit us in person.
For additional information, please visit our web site for military records on microfilm.
For copies of original service and pension records of Revolutionary War soldiers, contact the National Archives and Records Administration in Washington, D.C. The National Archives web site has information about ordering military records : Access to Military Service and Pension Records and Genealogy Research into Military Records.
ORDERING INFORMATION AND FEES:
- For a $5 fee, the Library and Archives can photocopy and mail or e-mail the listings for one specified family name from the published index to the Revolutionary War pensioners. This fee covers the cost of copying up to 20 pages; each additional copy beyond the initial 20 copies is 50¢. The fee is not refundable. Payment in advance by check, money order or credit card is required. Send your request to Tennessee State Library and Archives, Public Services, 403 Seventh Avenue North, Nashville TN 37243-0312. [GO TO FORM SS-2236 -- Military Records Search Request]
- There is no charge for an e-mail scan of up to five (5) pages from one published index. The standard fee of $5 will be charged if there are more than five pages.
- Please submit each search request on a separate form. Orders will be filled promptly and in the order that they are received. Most requests are answered within two weeks of the time they are received by the Library and Archives; however, response times may vary depending on the volume and nature of your request.
- The Library and Archives can, for an additional $5.00 fee, certify a document in our collection.
- Some printed indexes and microfilmed records are available for delivery via e-mail through Tennessee State Library and Archives E-Docs.
ELECTRONIC DELIVERY OF DOCUMENTS [Tennessee State Library and Archives E-Docs]
Some printed indexes and microfilmed records may be available for delivery through our e-mail service. Requests to be delivered by e-mail, however, must be submitted in the same manner as our Services by Mail requests: payment in advance by check, money order or credit card is required. Send your request to Tennessee State Library and Archives, Research Department, 403 Seventh Avenue North, Nashville TN 37243-0312. If you request electronic delivery of a document, you must check the e-mail box under "Delivery Instructions". If no boxes are marked, or if more than one box is marked, the record will be photocopied and sent via US Mail.
CERTIFICATION OF DOCUMENTS
There are situations where a court, insurance company, Social Security Office, nursing home, or genealogical society may require an individual to submit a certified copy of a document. When the Tennessee State Library and Archives certifies a document, the photocopy is marked with a stamp avowing that it is a true and exact copy of a document held at the Library and Archives. The document is signed and dated by a designated Library and Archives staff member, and an embossed seal is placed over the signature and date.
- If needed, the Library and Archives can certify a copy of a record held in our collection. There is a fee of $5.00 to certify one copy of the document, in addition to the initial search fee. If you wish for more than one copy of a record to be certified, each additional certification is $5.00.
- If you think certification may be needed, please indicate this when the initial copy order is placed, as we cannot certify after-the-fact any copies that have left our facility. We cannot certify copies of items that we have not copied ourselves. If you decide at a later date that you need items certified that you have already received, we will have to charge you for the order a second time and re-copy all the materials.
- The Library and Archives cannot certify electronic copies (scans) of documents.
- If you pay in advance for a record search and certification and the record is not located, neither the search fee nor the certification fee are refundable. For this reason, when searching for a record that you wish to have certified, the Library and Archives suggests that you use our downloadable military form and pay by credit card. If you pay by credit card and a record is not located, then you will not be charged the additional $5.00 certification fee.