Some printed indexes and microfilmed records may be available for delivery through our e-mail service. Requests to be delivered by e-mail, however, must be submitted in the same manner as our Services by Mail requests: payment in advance by check, money order or credit card is required. Send your request to Tennessee State Library and Archives, Research Department, 403 Seventh Avenue North, Nashville TN 37243-0312. If you request electronic delivery of a document, you must check the e-mail box under "Delivery Instructions". If no boxes are marked, or if more than one box is marked, the record will be photocopied and sent via US Mail.
- Records available through this service are scanned and saved as a .pdf file. Documents can only be saved as .pdfs. Patrons can download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the files.
- Records sent via e-mail service cannot be certified.
- The Library and Archives will e-mail the record to one e-mail address.
- If the file size exceeds 10 pages or 15 megabytes, the .pdf file will be placed on a CD and mailed.
- If it is not feasible to scan the record you are requesting, a print copy will be mailed to you.
- If needed, the Library and Archives can certify a copy of a record held in our collection. There is a fee of $5.00 to certify one copy of the document, in addition to the initial search fee. If you wish for more than one copy of a record to be certified, each additional certification is $5.00.
- If you think certification may be needed, please indicate this when the initial copy order is placed, as we cannot certify after-the-fact any copies that have left our facility. We cannot certify copies of items that we have not copied ourselves. If you decide at a later date that you need items certified that you have already received, we will have to charge you for the order a second time and re-copy all the materials.
- The Library and Archives cannot certify electronic copies (scans) of documents.
- If you pay in advance for a record search and certification and the record is not located, neither the search fee nor the certification fee are refundable. For this reason, when searching for a record that you wish to have certified, the Library and Archives suggests that you use our downloadable form and pay by credit card. If you pay by credit card and a record is not located, then you will not be charged the additional $5.00 certification fee.
There are situations where a court, insurance company, Social Security Office, nursing home, or genealogical society may require an individual to submit a certified copy of a document. When the Tennessee State Library and Archives certifies a document, the photocopy is marked with a stamp avowing that it is a true and exact copy of a document held at the Library and Archives. The document is signed and dated by a designated Library and Archives staff member, and an embossed seal is placed over the signature and date.