STEM Programming and tools available for libraries and schools
The Tennessee State Library and Archives is offering NASA @ My Library STEM Kits that provide hands-on learning opportunities useful for the classroom or library. Created through a grant, two different kits, "Sun-Earth-Moon Connections" and "Be a NASA Detective" are available for public libraries and schools to check out for up to 4 weeks at a time. Each kit contains scientific tools and a limited amount of inexpensive, consumable supplies for small groups, accompanied by a Facilitation Guide developed by the National Center for Interactive Learning at the Space Science Institute, and supported by NASA’s Science Mission Directorate.
Though originally designed for use at public libraries, schools will find the activities and hands-on learning opportunities useful in the classroom setting. The kits have been correlated to the Next Generation Science Standards and Tennessee State Science Standards.
Kits will be sent to requesting organizations through the TSLA Courier with delivery at the public library nearest to the requesting contact.
To Reserve a STEM Kit:
Select the kit you want to reserve
View the appropriate Kit Calendar for availability
Fill out the request form for the specific Kit with an open availability
Wait for confirmation from TSLA Staff
The NASA STEM Kit will be shipped to the closest public library via a courier service. The public library will contact you to let you know the kit has arrived and will arrange for you to pick it up.
Instructions - To Return a STEM Kit
- Do an Inventory. Check the list in the kit Facilitation Guide to make sure all items are returned. Fill out the inventory form in each kit.
- Use zip ties (included in kit) to close the lid securely.
- Contact the public library where you picked up the STEM kit to let them know you have an item for the courier to return to TSLA.
- Return the kit to the public library where you received it. The public library will put it in the courier.
- Confirm with TSLA that the kit was returned.