Bring the Archives to your classroom!
Starting this year, the Tennessee State Library and Archives is offering a traveling trunk program to Tennessee schools in all 95 counties. These six trunks are educational resources that provide hands-on original and reproduction materials and historical primary sources that supplement the Tennessee social studies curriculum standards. Topics range from various wars that Tennesseans participated in to the social and economic features of the Roaring Twenties. Each traveling trunk includes creative and unique lesson plans created by current classroom teachers as well as all the materials needed for the different activities.
Each trunk has a two-week reservation period. If multiple teachers in a school want to use the trunk, it can be reserved for an additional week. This additional week must be confirmed in the original reservation. To cover the costs of shipping (both to and from your school), the fee for each trunk is $25.00. “School districts may pay this $25.00 fee by check. An invoice will be issued to the contact name and school listed on the reservation. The invoice should be paid before the trunk is shipped and within 30 days of receipt.”
To reserve the trunk:
- Select the trunk you would like to reserve
- View trunk’s calendar for availability
- Fill out the contact form for the specific trunk with an open availability
- Wait for confirmation from education staff
Returning a trunk:
- Do an inventory! Make sure that all materials are returned in the trunk. Fill out the inventory form included in each trunk.
- Keep all shipping materials, including shipping box and bubble wrap. You will need these items when you ship the trunk back to the Library & Archives .
- Place the shipping label (included in the trunk) on the front of the shipping box and schedule a pickup for Fedex Ground from your school. Contact information for Fedex is provided on the memo for the traveling trunk.
- Confirm with education staff that trunk has been shipped.