History and Genealogy

RUSSELLVILLE METHODIST CHURCH AND CONFERENCE RECORDS, 1894-1935

The Russellville Methodist Church and Conference Records consists of a record book listing children who were baptized, members, probations, pastors, stewards, stewards’ and leaders’ meetings, presiding elders, missionaries, and sextons. The list also includes death dates of members, as well as information about members who were expelled, withdrew, or were removed from the church. The volume is missing several pages. The Russellville Methodist Church, an African American church in Hamblen County, Tennessee, later became Bewley’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. The Russellville Methodist Church and Conference Records were loaned for microfilming by Barbara Jean Belvins, Morristown, Tennessee, in the care of the Hamblen County Archives. There are no restrictions on this collection.

BETHESDA UNITED METHODIST CHURCH RECORDS, 1823-2007

The Bethesda United Methodist Church Records consists of six membership register books dating 1823-2007. This church is also known as the Bethesda Methodist Church, in Williamson County, Tennessee. Bethesda United Methodist Church, Thompson’s Station, Tennessee, loaned the Bethesda United Methodist Church Records, 1823-2007, for microfilming. The collection consists of .5 cubic feet of materials and there are no restrictions.

JOHN T. MAJORS SCRAPBOOKS, 1939-1991

The John T. Majors Scrapbooks, 1939-1991, consists of four oversized scrapbooks concerning Majors’ football career. The first two scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings showing Majors as a football player at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, as well as his career as a football coach for Iowa State University and Mississippi State University, 1939-1973. The third scrapbook contains newspaper clippings detailing the University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s championship season, 1985-1986. The fourth scrapbook contains newspaper clippings regarding the 1991 Sugar Bowl where the University of Tennessee, Knoxville played the Virginia Cavaliers in New Orleans, Louisiana. The John T. Majors Scrapbooks were loaned to the Tennessee State Library and Archives by John T. Majors to be microfilmed. The collection consists of 3 cubic feet, and there are no restrictions.

HISTORY OF TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH (ROBERTSON COUNTY, TENN.), 1947-1987

The History of the Tabernacle Baptist Church of Robertson County, Tennessee, 1947-1987, was loaned for microfilming by Joe Howard Brown, Springfield, Tennessee. The collection consists of the history of the Tabernacle Baptist Church including photographs and newspaper clippings. The collection retains the compiler’s original order and consists of .5 cubic feet. There are no restrictions on this collection.

BEERSHEBA SPRINGS LEDGERS AND SCRAPBOOKS, 1879-2000

The Beersheba Springs Ledgers, 1879-1915, include four ledgers from the Northcutt Store in Beersheba Springs, Tennessee. The Northcutt store was originally in the building across the street from the Beersheba Springs Hotel and on the side of the mountain. Tommy Northcutt originally owned the store. Marvin Brown later acquired the business and eventually moved it to a location on Route 56 in the heart of Beersheba Springs. The store is now known as The Beersheba Market. Around 1932, the Burch family acquired the original building and converted it into a home. The Earthman family currently owns the building. The two Laura Barnes Hunerwadel scrapbooks, 1932-1949, contain photographs of the Barnes and Hunerwadel families, as well as newspaper clippings, greeting cards, and letters to Mrs. A. P. Hunerwadel from her son, Robert Hunerwadel, and her brother, Stanley Barnes, who were in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. The photographic album contains photographs of the Hege, Hunerwadel, Plumacher, Kershaw, and Baumgardner families.

BEERSHEBA SPRINGS HISTORICAL SOCIETY SUBJECT FILES, 1806-1983

The Beersheba Springs Historical Society Subject Files, 1806-1983, consists of several individual family histories and photographs for the Creighton, Green, King, Pease, Savage, and Tate families. Also included are numerous Grundy County records which include cemeteries, census records, newspaper clippings, court records, history notes, schools, churches, birth, marriage, and death records. The collection also contains historical material on Burritt College, Irving College, Warren County, and Sumner County. There are two ledgers included in this collection: Beersheba Springs Hotel Company, 1879, and H. B. Northcutt General Merchandise, Altamont, Tennessee, December 1858-December 1959. There are also several items concerning the Beersheba Springs Historical Society, such as financial records, newspaper clippings, and newsletters.

ARMSTRONG FAMILY LETTERS, 1832-1901

The Armstrong Family Letters consists primarily of correspondence between Thomas Lapsley Armstrong of Somerville, Fayette County, Tennessee, and his brother Anderson Armstrong of Hillsborough, North Carolina, concerning family and community news. Also included are typed transcripts of the letters, a wedding invitation to Mrs. G. Blake and Miss Armstrong from Mr. & Mrs. R. N. Christian, a biographical sketch of Thomas Lapsley Armstrong and William Henry Blake, as well as several obituaries.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History and Genealogy