History and Genealogy

ROE FAMILY GENEALOGICAL DATA, 1832-2006

The Roe Family Genealogical Data consists of genealogy research concerning the history of the Roe Family from Louisa County, Virginia, and Robertson County, Tennessee. Other family branches included are the Carols, Elmores, Dorrises, and Bartholomews of the Oakland community in Robertson County, Tennessee. The collection contains photographs, census records, court records, bible records, marriage licenses, and wills. Joe Howard Brown of Springfield, Tennessee, loaned the Roe Family Genealogical Data to The Tennessee State Library and Archives for microfilming. The collection retains the compiler’s original order. It consists of 1 cubic foot of materials and there are no restrictions.

NANCY LAWHORN GENEALOGICAL RESEARCH PAPERS, approximately 1840-1987

The Nancy Lawhorn Genealogical Research Papers include bible records, handwritten notes, lineage charts, census data, newspaper clippings and articles concerning the family names of Kirkpatrick, Wynnes, Firestone, Runyan, Higdon, and Williams. Nancy Kirkpatrick Lawhorn compiled the Nancy Lawhorn Genealogical Research Papers. Upon Mrs. Lawhorn’s death, her niece, Miss Olive Bratton of South Pittsburg, Tennessee, received the collection and loaned it to the Tennessee State Library and Archives for microfilming. The collection consists of 1 cubic foot of materials and there are no restrictions.

MASONIC LODGE #653 (ETOWAH, TENN.) LEDGERS, 1905-1960

The Masonic Lodge #653 (Etowah, Tenn.) Ledgers, 1905-1960, holds eight ledgers containing the names of board members, meeting locations, previous meeting minutes, accounting notes, and various activities pertaining to the lodge. James P. Swayne of Etowah, Tennessee, loaned The Masonic Lodge #653 Ledgers to the State Library and Archives for microfilming. The collection consists of 2 cubic feet of materials and there are no restrictions.

MOSES HELM FAMILY RESEARCH PAPERS

The microfilm publication of the Moses Helm Family Research Papers was a gift from Bob Law of Nashville, Tennessee. The collection consists of 6 rolls of 35 mm microfilm filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah (GSU). GSU specifies the following restriction: “By contract with GSU and the owners of the records on the microfilm, it may not be sold or duplicated except under limited circumstances. For further information contact Family History Center Support, 50 East North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150.” The 7-digit number on the side of each reel is the GSU identification number for this film. The collection consists of the background, or working, files for the research and publication of the book Moses Helm by Bob Law and Clyde Smith in 1995. This published work is available in TSLA holdings in print form at call number CS71 .H479 1995 as well as an expanded 2nd edition on compact disc at CD 33. The papers primarily relate to Moses Helm and the Helm family of the United States. The published volume is indexed and is divided into chapters by generation but does not include a narrative or overview on the history of the family. There does appear to be a Tennessee component to the family history.

RUSSELLVILLE METHODIST CHURCH AND CONFERENCE RECORDS, 1894-1935

The Russellville Methodist Church and Conference Records consists of a record book listing children who were baptized, members, probations, pastors, stewards, stewards’ and leaders’ meetings, presiding elders, missionaries, and sextons. The list also includes death dates of members, as well as information about members who were expelled, withdrew, or were removed from the church. The volume is missing several pages. The Russellville Methodist Church, an African American church in Hamblen County, Tennessee, later became Bewley’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. The Russellville Methodist Church and Conference Records were loaned for microfilming by Barbara Jean Belvins, Morristown, Tennessee, in the care of the Hamblen County Archives. There are no restrictions on this collection.

BETHESDA UNITED METHODIST CHURCH RECORDS, 1823-2007

The Bethesda United Methodist Church Records consists of six membership register books dating 1823-2007. This church is also known as the Bethesda Methodist Church, in Williamson County, Tennessee. Bethesda United Methodist Church, Thompson’s Station, Tennessee, loaned the Bethesda United Methodist Church Records, 1823-2007, for microfilming. The collection consists of .5 cubic feet of materials and there are no restrictions.

JOHN T. MAJORS SCRAPBOOKS, 1939-1991

The John T. Majors Scrapbooks, 1939-1991, consists of four oversized scrapbooks concerning Majors’ football career. The first two scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings showing Majors as a football player at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, as well as his career as a football coach for Iowa State University and Mississippi State University, 1939-1973. The third scrapbook contains newspaper clippings detailing the University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s championship season, 1985-1986. The fourth scrapbook contains newspaper clippings regarding the 1991 Sugar Bowl where the University of Tennessee, Knoxville played the Virginia Cavaliers in New Orleans, Louisiana. The John T. Majors Scrapbooks were loaned to the Tennessee State Library and Archives by John T. Majors to be microfilmed. The collection consists of 3 cubic feet, and there are no restrictions.

HISTORY OF TABERNACLE BAPTIST CHURCH (ROBERTSON COUNTY, TENN.), 1947-1987

The History of the Tabernacle Baptist Church of Robertson County, Tennessee, 1947-1987, was loaned for microfilming by Joe Howard Brown, Springfield, Tennessee. The collection consists of the history of the Tabernacle Baptist Church including photographs and newspaper clippings. The collection retains the compiler’s original order and consists of .5 cubic feet. There are no restrictions on this collection.

BEERSHEBA SPRINGS LEDGERS AND SCRAPBOOKS, 1879-2000

The Beersheba Springs Ledgers, 1879-1915, include four ledgers from the Northcutt Store in Beersheba Springs, Tennessee. The Northcutt store was originally in the building across the street from the Beersheba Springs Hotel and on the side of the mountain. Tommy Northcutt originally owned the store. Marvin Brown later acquired the business and eventually moved it to a location on Route 56 in the heart of Beersheba Springs. The store is now known as The Beersheba Market. Around 1932, the Burch family acquired the original building and converted it into a home. The Earthman family currently owns the building. The two Laura Barnes Hunerwadel scrapbooks, 1932-1949, contain photographs of the Barnes and Hunerwadel families, as well as newspaper clippings, greeting cards, and letters to Mrs. A. P. Hunerwadel from her son, Robert Hunerwadel, and her brother, Stanley Barnes, who were in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. The photographic album contains photographs of the Hege, Hunerwadel, Plumacher, Kershaw, and Baumgardner families.

BEERSHEBA SPRINGS HISTORICAL SOCIETY SUBJECT FILES, 1806-1983

The Beersheba Springs Historical Society Subject Files, 1806-1983, consists of several individual family histories and photographs for the Creighton, Green, King, Pease, Savage, and Tate families. Also included are numerous Grundy County records which include cemeteries, census records, newspaper clippings, court records, history notes, schools, churches, birth, marriage, and death records. The collection also contains historical material on Burritt College, Irving College, Warren County, and Sumner County. There are two ledgers included in this collection: Beersheba Springs Hotel Company, 1879, and H. B. Northcutt General Merchandise, Altamont, Tennessee, December 1858-December 1959. There are also several items concerning the Beersheba Springs Historical Society, such as financial records, newspaper clippings, and newsletters.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - History and Genealogy