A registered voter may request an application for a by-mail ballot no earlier than ninety (90) days before the election and no later than seven (7) days before the election. To be processed for the next election, the application must be received by the election commission no later than seven (7) days before the election
You must submit a written request containing the information below to your local county election commission office by the seventh day before Election Day. You can use the absentee ballot request form to make sure all required information is provided.
You can submit your written request for an absentee ballot by mail, fax, or e-mail. If e-mailing your request, be sure the attached document contains the information below and your scanned signature.
- Name of the registered voter
- Address of the voter's residence
- Voter's social security number
- Voter's date of birth
- Address to mail the ballot
- The election in which the voter wishes to participate. If the election involves a primary, the political party in which the voter wishes to participate.
- Reason the voter wishes to vote absentee. If applicable, a copy of the CDL containing the CDL number or the TWIC card must be included in the voter’s request.
- Voter's signature
A request that contains this information will be processed and a ballot will be mailed to the voter.
If you do not provide all of the information required your county election commission will return the application to you so you can make corrections and resubmit your application.
NOTICE: A person who is not an employee of an election commission commits a Class E felony if such person gives an application for an absentee ballot to any person or commits a Class A misdemeanor if such person gives an unsolicited request for application for absentee ballot to any person. T.C.A. § 2-6-202(c)(3) and (4).